- 19 December 2022
- Posted by: Canberra Innovation Network
- Category: General News
Dear Canberra Innovation Community,
At a time of deep uncertainty and unpredictable global outlook, it is more important than ever to double up on our investment in solutions for the future. Innovation is not a jargon phrase. It is a mindset, it is a way of being in this world, if we want to have an impact on making it a better place.
At the Canberra Innovation Network, we could not be more proud of the progress and achievements we see you deliver as you are building a better future for Canberra, for Australia and for the planet.
- $1B+ capital transactions in the ACT innovation economy in 2022
- 2022 Startup of the year at the national AIIA Awards (Aurabox),
- 2022 Techboard Angel Investor of the Year (Professor Tim Hirst),
- 2022 Winner of the InnovationAus Manufacturing Innovation Award for Excellence (Quantum Brilliance),
- 2022 InnovationAus Australian Hero and Energy & Renewables Awards for Excellence (Samsara Eco)
- NASDAQ listed company NetApp acquiring a Canberra tech scale up Instaclustr in a historically largest deal in the Canberra startup space.
- 2022 Pearcy Medal for contribution to development of the IT sector awarded to John De Margheriti
- Skykraft beginning their launch of the largest constellation of satellites (200+ by 2028) in Australian history.
- And did you know that at least two out of the top ten national CSIRO ON deep-tech accelerator teams announced last week in Sydney have founders from Canberra?
These are just a few examples of the amazing achievements of Canberra’s vibrant innovation community. Through the support of this community, CBRIN itself is contributing directly $100M p.a. to the ACT gross state product, providing more than 50-times return on investment on the ACT Government funding.
And as a city, we are only at the beginning of what we are capable of achieving.
Imagine a network of innovation campuses across all our tertiary education and research institutions hosting collaborations of companies, researchers and employing Canberrans in highly impactful jobs. A network that is interconnected, truly collaborative and has a central innovation node, a hub of hubs, providing opportunities for companies, researchers, entrepreneurs, investors and customers to collide, and create collaborations that address really complex problems and grow new industries.
This is the Canberra Innovation Network we are building together with the innovation community, with support of the ACT Government, our Foundation Members and Partners.
I would like to thank everyone who is a part of this journey. Thank you for the amazing hard work you all do to advance our city, to build new innovative companies, and to create a better future. Thank you also to the superstar Canberra Innovation Network team for your dedication, enthusiasm, camaraderie, creativity, energy and endless drive. You inspire me every day.
For others, come join us. Celebrate the year that has been. Start your next big innovation in 2023 or join an existing startup, innovation company, project or innovation initiative. Mentor, partner, invest, or just learn more about and engage with this fantastic ecosystem of amazing entrepreneurs making an impact and changing the world.
This is an exciting community and we want every Canberran to be a part of it and be proud of our great city as The Place for Innovation.
We believe that the sky is the limit!
Wishing you and yours a joyful and safe holiday season!