- 12 December 2022
- Posted by: Canberra Innovation Network
- Categories: Event News, Feature, General News, Networking
The Canberra Network held the ultimate Innovation celebrations at the Belconnen Arts Centre on Wednesday 7 December. The 1st in person Showcase since 2019 welcomed over 400 attendees, 12 incredible pitches from local innovators, a live voting competition to crown the winners and a couple of hours of networking was a very fitting way to recognise the incredible achievements of Canberra’s innovation community for 2022.
The venue provided the beautiful backdrop of Belconnen’s Lake Ginninderra, with the afternoon sunshine bouncing off the water. This view paired perfectly with the buzzy conversations happening around the space as people prepared for the event.
The foyer was filled with interactive stalls from the Canberra Innovation Networks community of contributors and supporters which included the ACT Government, Foundation Members – ANU, CSIRO, CIT, UNSW Canberra and the University of Canberra, Education Partner – AIE and Gold Partners – King & Wood Mallesons, Optus, PWC. All these organisations have played and continue to play a significant part in supporting the Canberra Innovation Network and innovation in Canberra.
These stalls provided attendees at the Innovation Showcase a focus to highlight how Canberra is a CLEVER, CONNECTED and CREATIVE city.
The incredible Rosanne Brand, PWC Partner, MC’d the event and brought a contagious energy and enthusiasm to the room that set the mood for the night.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr, was inspired by the incredible turnout and how it was a testament to the impact of the innovation community in Canberra. He highlighted some of the innovation and business community’s achievements during 2022, of which many have been significant and considerable.
CEO Petr Adamek addressed the incredible feats the community has had this year saying, “I could not be prouder of what the Canberra innovation community has achieved in 2022.” Noting specifically Professor Tim Hirst, a stalwart of the mentor and investor community in Canberra and recently announced as the Techboard’s Angel Investor of the year, Aurabox as startup of the year at the national AIIA Awards, Quantum Brilliance winning the InnovationAus Manufacturing Innovation award and the acquisition of Instaclustr by global company NetApp and the incredible efforts of Canberran companies that have collectively raised over $230 million dollars in 2022.
All 12 companies did a 90 second pitch highlighting their innovation and how why they considered themselves to be CLEVER, CONNECTED or CREATIVE .
The pitching teams were:
- AuraBox – Cloud-based medical imaging viewing and storage platform which allows doctors to view complete imaging histories for their patients in one place.
- Viortec- Viortec creates smart surgical clamps aiming to have a major impact on the precision and efficiency of robotic knee replacement surgery.
- Digital Design Partners- Digital Design Partners is a team of passionate and skilled people who focus on working in partnership with clients to deliver service improvement, digital delivery and systems implementation.
- Tracebly- Web-based tool that helps digital product and service delivery organisations design, evaluate and collaborate around a shared view of their optimal customer experience.
- Hyrea – Developing technology that stores and transports hydrogen in solid form.
- Syenta- Syenta is transforming the electronics manufacturing sector with patented fabrication method enables the 3D printing of multi-material electronics with fewer steps and less waste.
- HiveIQ – Constructed with high density Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) for high fusion strength, high quality and precision finish, the hives are designed for usability and long life.
- Skykraft- Skykraft is an Australian space services company that specialises in the design, manufacture and operation of satellite constellations for the delivery of global services.
- Syconic Cyber – Syconic Cyber delivers enterprise quality protection against all cyber related threats.
- Bakesale- Online marketplace that brings local bakers and customers together.
- Endless – Recycled Plastic Skateboards and other products that aim to close the loop on small plastic waste.
- Miiroko- Sustainable at home hair dye solution with a virtual salon experience.
Rosanne hyped up the crowd between pitches, keeping them excited for the next team to hit the stage. The energy in the room was electric as each team pitched to the hundreds of people in attendance.
When it came time for the crowd to vote the room fell silent. Hundreds of people deliberated on which team they were voting for the categories of most clever, connected and creatives pitches. MC Rosanne had the crowd flash their phone lights where they were done, and the room slowly began to light up with innovation magic.
The voted were counted and the winners were
Clever: Aurabox, CEO Chaturica Athukorala was the first to pitch and took the prize, adding another win to Aurabox’s incredible resume!
Connected: Lids for Kids partner project Endless won in the connected category for the way they connect the old with the new by recycling plastics into sporting gear like skateboards. Unfortunately, the stage was not suitable for a kickflip demonstration.
Creative: CBRIN Coworkers Miiroko won for their creative solution to end expensive, time consuming and unsustainable salon trips! Thanks to Miiroko, the rate of good hair days has skyrocketed!
The 2022 Innovation Showcase was a phenomenal success, the event shined a light on the incredible community of innovators and creatives in Canberra and gave them opportunity to spark new connections that can help them continue to kick goals and turn ideas into reality and change the world.
Hala Batainah, Chair of the Canberra Innovation Network, said “It takes a village to grow an idea and a business, and we are proud to play a role, with our partners and other Canberrans, in supporting the community to drive impact.” Hala thanked the community for the vital role, they play in supporting the innovation ecosystem in Canberra.
At the Canberra Innovation Network, we are looking forward to 2023 and taking the buzzing energy and innovation magic from the showcase with us to make even greater waves in the new year.
The sky is the limit, for now.