- 16 June 2021
- Posted by: Canberra Innovation Network
- Categories: Feature, Innovation Connect Grant, Media Releases
Image: A national view of bushfire warnings on Bushfire.io
Airport Artificial Intelligence, subscription hair colour and accessible theatre are just a few of the Canberra startup ideas that have secured funding through the Innovation Connect (ICON) Grant.
In partnership with the ACT Government, the Canberra Innovation Network is pleased to announce 10 new innovative businesses that have received a combined funding of $262,400 from ICON and are well on their way to seeing their vision become a reality.
“We’re supporting local innovation to create jobs and diversify the ACT’s economy. Seed funding from our ICON grants helps to support ideas through their early stages so they may attract private sector investment and interest later on,” said Chief Minister Andrew Barr.
“I am always amazed at the breadth and diversity of innovative ideas that entrepreneurs in Canberra pursue. From applications of quantum computing to health, every ICON round brings out new ideas and new entrepreneurial people who are passionate about changing the world for the better. It is so critical that we nurture this activity within our city and provide these innovators with the opportunities, connections and resources they need to succeed.” said Petr Adamek, CEO, Canberra Innovation Network.
ICON provides early stage businesses an opportunity to receive matched funding between $10,000-$30,000 and is designed to support the market testing, prototyping, patenting and commercial feasibility of the recipient’s concept.
The Canberra Innovation Network connects innovation and entrepreneurship with science and research. More than 10,000 visitors engage with the network every year through events, programs and innovation focused educational courses the network supports and runs.
The ICON grant recipients for 2021:
- Auditum All – A streamlined audio description service and App for performance, theatre and film.
- Bushfire.io – A national view of bushfire warnings, fire incidents and critical information people need to protect themselves and their property.
- Freedom From Chronic Pain – Telehealth platform that enables people worldwide to go beyond managing their pain to actually recovering from most chronic pain conditions.
- S365 by SafeSynergy – An AI-powered system using computer vision to detect workplace hazards and alert workers in real-time across transport operations and manufacturing sites.
- The Joyful Fashionista – A peer-to-peer shopping website for second-hand and sustainable clothing.
- Miiroko – A subscription home hair colour, where users can access hairdressers to help select and apply the colour.
- Nomad Atomics – Fibre based laser system to enable true portable quantum sensors.
- Performance & Specialist Electric Vehicles – High performance modular vehicle electrification for the most challenging applications demanding zero emissions.
- Rexergy – Helping small businesses to reduce their energy bills by making sure they are always on the best energy plan.
- STMNA Bioactives – Software-as-a-service subscription that delivers a personalised, scientifically-proven bioactive compounds that improve health.
The next round of the Innovation Connect Grants will open Spring 2021.